- Broken/Crushed wheat - 1 cup
- Water - 4 cups
- Dark brown jaggery - 500 gms (I used a little less)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Medium thick coconut milk – 3.5 cups (I added 1.5 cups water to 2 cups thick coconut milk)
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tsp
- Crushed Cardamom – 3
- Ghee – 1 to 2 tsp
- Cashew nuts- 1/4 cup
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
- Coconut pieces (bite sized) – 1/2 cup
1. Pressure cook crushed wheat with water for 2-3 whistles. It should be cooked well. Broken wheat may
take a longer time.Wait till pressure is released completely.
2. Meanwhile melt jaggery in 1/2 cup of water. Strain it to remove impurities if any. Pour this is to the cooked wheat and combine well. Add ghee and cook till jaggery is almost dried up. Add medium thick coconut milk and ghee and let it boil. Simmer till the payasam becomes thick. Add crushed cardamom also.
3. Now add the thick coconut milk. Simmer for 5 more minutes in low flame. Do not boil after adding thick milk
4. In a small pan, heat ghee and add coconut pieces, when it changes to light brown, add raisins and
cashewnuts. Pour this to the payasam.