This is a recipe from the hills of Missouri. this is a favorite dish of many families in this region.
- 7 oz. or 1/2 package Ajika Channa Dal rinsed with 2-3 changes of water and drained
- 1/2 t turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 t ginger paste
- salt to taste
- 3 young zucchini peeled and cubed
- ½ t of garam masala
- 3 T ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 t cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1-2 whole red chilies
- 1/2 t asafetida (hing)
- 2 t ground coriander powder
- ½ T fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar or jaggery
- 4 T chopped cilantro
- Add 3 cups of water to a heavy pot and add the dal, 1 T of ghee or oil, turmeric, ginger and salt to taste and boil the dal. Reduce heat add the zucchini and garam masala and let it simmer.
- As the dal is simmering heat ghee in a small sauce pan and fry the cumin seeds and red chilies till they brown. Add the asafoetida. Add the coriander powder and fry the seasonings. For 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the seasonings in the pot of dal and let it continue to simmer on low until the zucchini is butter soft. Adjust the water so that the dal has the consistency you like( from soup like consistency to thick soup pour over dal or to eat with flat bread)
- Add the lime juice, sugar/jaggery and garnish with chopped cilantro.