This savory mixture of potatoes and peas can be eaten as part of a vegetarian meal or served with chapatis for lunch or a snack. It also makes an excellent filling for samosa.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic,
- chopped 1 small onion,
- chopped 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 10-oz. package frozen peas,thawed, or 1 17-oz. can green peas, drained
- 1/4 cup cashews for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chili, ginger, garlic, onion, and salt and fry about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until mixture is brown and fragrant.
- Add potatoes and water and stir to combine. Cover skillet, lower heat, and simmer about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- When potatoes are cooked, add peas and simmer 3 minutes, or until peas are heated through.
- Serve potatoes and peas hot, or at room temperature with cashews sprinkled on top.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
Serves 4 to 6