Though this dish is extremely simple to prepare, it will soon become a much-requested dish because it’s so delicious. It’s also lower in fat than many chicken dishes, since the skin is removed from the meat before baking. Save yourself time by buying pre-skinned chicken parts, and use all thighs or all drumsticks if your family prefers one to another.
- 2 pounds/1kg chicken thighs and drumsticks, skin removed
- 1/2 kg/1 pound new potatoes, quartered (about 4-6 little potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375° degrees.
- Arrange the chicken and the quartered potatoes in an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chicken and potatoes with the basil, thyme, garlic salt, and olive oil.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken and the potatoes, and bake, uncovered, for 20 to 30 more minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
If you have fresh herbs on hand, feel free to use in place of dried. Use 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil and 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme.
Preparation Time:10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Ready In:1 hour and 10 minutes
There’s no need to peel the potatoes before using. The skins of new potatoes are very tender and they hold their shape much better than baking potatoes. If you can’t find the young red new potatoes, use regular red potatoes.
Serve this dish with a steamed green vegetable, and raw baby carrots with a lowfat yogurt dip.
Please picky eaters by baking a few drumsticks plain – instead of sprinkling them with the herbs, just sprinkle with a bit of salt and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in a separate pan.
If you like, add some carrot chunks to the pan along with the potatoes. You could also add other vegetables, like zucchini or green beans, for the last 20 to 30 minutes of cooking.