- 3 c. water
- 1 c. split red or brown lentils, washed and drained *
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/8tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Combine water, lentils, turmeric, and cayenne in a large saucepan or kettle and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover pan, turn heat to low, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. (If you are using split red lentils, they will cook in about 15 to 20 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and stir. Add garlic, onion, and salt and continue stirring for about 5 minutes, or until onion begins to brown.
- When lentils are cooked, add onion mixture to them. Mix well and simmer for 5 additional minutes before serving.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
*Split red lentils are known in Hindi as masoor dal.They may be found in Indian or Middle Eastern markets as well as in some larger supermarkets.This dish tastes wonderful made with almost any variety of lentil.