- 1 cup Basmathi rice
- 1 3/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1 small Finely sliced onion
- 6 Cloves
- 1" Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seed
A) 1/4 c frozen peas (boiled), salt, 6 drops green food coloring mixed with 1 t water.
B) 1/4 c diced tomatoes, 1/4 t red pepper, salt, Garam Masala, 6 drops red food coloring mixed in 2 t water.
- 1 Thinly sliced onion
- 2 1/4 c Ghee
- 1 oz Almonds
- 1 oz Cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 oz Golden raisins
- 1 oz Pistachio nuts
- 1" piece Ginger thinly sliced
- 1 Green chili (optional)
- 1 Hard boiled egg
- Clean, wash, and soak rice in 1 3/4 c water for pressure cooking, or in 2 cups of water for pan cooking. Heat oil and fry the onions.
- Add whole spices. Fry 1 minute. Add rice and fry for 2/3 minutes to coat the rice grains with oil.
- Add the water which the rice was soaking in. Pressure cook, building up the pressure to 15 psi and let drop, OR cook in a pan bringing to full boil then down to a simmer followed by 20 minutes of cooking until the rice is done.
- Divide rice into three parts. Thoroughly mix A with one part and B with another. Leave the last part plain. Keep rice separate and warm in the oven.
To serve, place onions, nuts, chopped egg and all of (C) in a dish and spread the three batches of rice in clumps above it aesthetically.