- 2 c. yellow split peas, soaked in water for 4 hours, then drained
- 1/4 c. water
- 2 c. jaggery, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 c. flour (maida/all purpose flour)
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2–1 c. water
- butter to serve**
- To prepare the stuffing, cook split peas in ø c. water until soft.* Drain well.
- Add jaggery and mix well. Mash into a fine paste. Heat mixture on low until it thickens into a lump, stirring Remove from heat. Stir in ground spices.
- Roll mixture into 20 equal-sized stuffing balls. Set aside. Mix flour, oil, and turmeric.
- Knead water into the mixture, 1/4 c. at a time, until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Divide into 20 equal balls. Use a floured rolling pin or your palm to flatten each ball into a Place a stuffing ball in the center of each circle and wrap the dough around it to create a poli. Repeat.
- Flour a work space and roll out each poli into a 6-inch circle.
- Roast both sides of each poli on a hot griddle until brown and fragrant.
- No oil is necessary.
Preparation and cooking time: 60 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
*If the liquid is absorbed before the mixture softens, add water in 1/4c. quantities until peas are fully cooked. **These treats are delicious when topped with a dollop of butter and served warm with a glass of cold milk.