- Khus Khus 1/2 cup
- Sugar/jaggery 1cup
- Milk 11/2 cup
- Water 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp
1. In a dry pan roast the poppy seeds just for a minute and take off from fire. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Now wash the seeds well for couple of times and then soak them in water for 1 to 2 hours.
3. In a blender add the poppy seeds along with coconut and grind it into a very fine smooth paste adding little water.
4. Take a deep bottomed vessel and bring the milk mixed with water to a boiling point.Add the sugar and mix well until it gets dissolved completely.
5. Keep stirring the milk in between and boil for 4 to 5 minutes.Now add the paste along with cardamom powder and allow it to boil for further 5 to 8 minutes.
6. After adding the poppy seeds paste keep stirring the content regularly so that it gets mixed with milk giving a very good flavor.
7. You can also filter the payasam in a colander/muslin cloth to get the refained liquid but it’s optional.
For better taste use jaggery. You can adjust the proportion according to your taste.