For the dough balls
- 225g/8oz powdered milk
- 110g/4oz plain flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 350ml/12fl oz milk
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- 100ml/3½fl oz water
- few strands saffron
- 1 tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted in a pan
- For the dough balls, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, adding enough extra water to form a soft, sticky dough. Cover with cling film and set aside for 10 minutes. Shape the dough into small round balls.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed frying pan. It is ready when a breadcrumb dropped in will sizzle gently in it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.) Deep fry the balls until golden brown, then remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen papper to drain.
- Make a sugar syrup by heating the sugar and water together with the saffron until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is syrupy.
- When the dough balls are cool, add to the syrup and leave to soak for about 1 hour.
- Garnish with chopped pistachio nuts and flaked almonds and serve.