- 1 kg chicken with bones, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp red chilli pwd
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
- juice of 3 lemons, heat for 3 mt and cool
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp salt (adjust)
- 4 tbsp oil
Dry roast and make a powder:
- 3 tbsps coriander seeds/dhaniyalu
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds/khus-khus/ghasagasalu
- 1 1/2 tsps methi seeds/methulu/fenugreek seeds
- 6 cloves
- 2″ cinnamon stick
- 1 elaichi/cardamom
- 1 staranise
- pinch of methi seeds
- 30 fresh curry leaves
- 3-4 dry red chilli
- 15 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 3/4 cup oil
- Dry roast all the spices individually over low heat and cool. Once cool, combine all the dry roasted ingredients and grind to a fine pwd.
- Heat 4 tbsps oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add chicken, ginger garlic paste, red chilli pwd and salt and cook on high heat for 5 mts. Reduce heat to medium high and continue to cook till the oil separates and there is hardly any water content. This frying will take about 25 mts. This step is crucial to chicken pickle making. Keep stirring in between.
- Heat 3/4 cup oil in another heavy bottomed vessel, add methi seeds, curry leaves, dry red chillis, crushed garlic and saute for a minute. Add the cooked chicken pieces along with any left over gravy and oil. Combine well. Add the ground spice pwd and combine well and cook on medium to high for 15-18 mts, stirring in between.
- Add the cooled lemon juice and combine well and turn off heat. Cool and store in an airtight bottle and refrigerate.