- 3 over-ripe medium (1 cup) bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas with butter.
3. Add in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and mix.
4. Add in sugar, baking soda, salt and mix.
5. Add flour last and mix until just combined.
6. Pour mixture into a greased and floured bread loaf pan.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool before removing from pan.
9. Glaze with icing or whipped cream, and sprinkle with mixed peel, if desired.
This recipe is so versatile, you can add almost anything to it. Try adding 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, dates or anything else you like to the mixture. Remember to stir them in last, just before pouring the mixture into the pan.
Makes: 1 loaf
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour