- 3 medium over-ripe (1 cup) bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and mix.
3. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg, butter, milk, vanilla, and mix.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Spoon mixture into paper muffin cups about 2/3 cups full. Sprinkle oats on top of muffins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool before removing from muffin pan.
You can add 2/3 cups of dried fruits, chocolate chips, nuts or anything else you like to the mixture. Just remember to stir them in last, just before spooning the mixture into the cups.
Makes: 15 muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes