Andhra Chepala Pulusu...A famous recipe from Andhra Cuisine..Many people of Andhra prefer to cook Fish in this way only..
- 7-8 fish fillets (mackerel or catfish or tilapia)
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 4 slit green chilli
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 big lemon-sized tamarind pulp (soak tamarind in 1 1/2 cup of warm water and extract thick juice)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi seeds (fenugreek)
- Heat oil in a wide vessel and add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the methi seeds and let it brown.Add the curry leaves and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions and fry on medium heat till the onions turn transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 3 mts.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt and fry for a minute.
- Add the tamarind extract and bring it to boil.
- Now carefully place the fish pieces in the vessel and cook covered for 3 mts. Add the green chilli.
- Turn the fish pieces over and cook. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 mts. Let the sauce thicken and till the oil separates or leaves.
- Adjust salt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Other Recipes similar to this type are:
Menthi Pulusu with Fish
Chintakaya Chepala Pulusu